Tuesday, December 25, 2007

New Christmas tradition - I'm not in charge

Ho ho - I think Epiphany is usually in a couple weeks but nevertheless I had one this past week. I've always stressed out to the max about the Christmas Eve service. Makes sense - it was my idea to have one at Christian Family Circle, and since I wanted it done "right" I had to be in charge of it myself. Truth to be told, in times past I probably would've been very glad to do EVERYTHING - write it, print it, play the piano, play the pastor's role, even immolate my wick as a candle.

Slowly but surely I've come to realize (hey, it only took about ten years....) that I Am Not in Charge of the World on Christmas Eve. Funny what a sense of relief that brings with it.

And lovely but true - some very nice surprises come with it. I was touched and delighted when Alice Benware volunteered to do a reading, and tickled after the service last night when she said, "I did it. And I wasn't even nervous."

My solo ("Some Children See Him") was good enough, even if I can't jazz it like James Taylor. And I managed not to yell at anybody or boil inside. Now that feels like Peace on Earth, Good Will towards Men.

On the home front, it was very nice to be able to ask the kids how they wanted to do Christmas. Hmm -- maybe I should ask David things once in a while, he always has good ideas. We will see how I can grow in that direction this year.

To all my faithful readers, Happy Christmas. May your day be Merry and Bright.

No comments: